Friday, April 28, 2006

 

Interesting fellow…

I am currently interviewing graduates for our annual Bridges alumni magazine. Each year, I find alumni with interesting life stories. Yesterday I had lunch with a retired GM worker-now Mexican resort owner.

Amazing story really, I kept me thinking…what am I doing in Michigan?

In summary, this gentleman got his college degree opened his own business, went bankrupt, then worked at GM for 20 years, took a buyout in the early 90s, started another business, came back to UM-Flint and got another degree, got into acting, traveled to Europe to act, lost his wife, went to Mexico to clear his head, bought some property four hours south of Cancun, came back to Michigan, married a widow, went to Mexico and built a resort.

He has five children, 14 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. His resort is on a peninsula town with only a bridge connecting it to the mainland. He has survived three hurricanes and was a catalyst in rebuilding after Hurricane Wilma. He visits Michigan three months out of the year and lives in Punta Allen, Mexico the other nine.

He is also a licensed piano tuner, notary, cable TV producer and message therapist.

Sitting there green with envy, Shardon Allen told me not to worry about my normalcy. He said I am living my ‘gottabe life’, he is living his ‘wannabe life.’

Check out his resort at
www.shardon.com.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?